A friend and I were recently talking about the pros and cons of living in South Korea, and one of the biggest cons, we agreed, is the way time sort of passes in a bubble here. As we’re living our lives on this side of the world, largely devoid of adult responsibilities like car and mortgage payments, we’re missing out on a lot of important developments in the lives of our friends and family members back home. Some of my dearest friends have spouses I’ve never met and kids I’ve never seen. Yeah, sure, there’s Facebook, but most people in my age bracket are coming to a point where they don’t really use it very much anymore. [FUN FACT: The reason Facebook often seems so immature is because the people who use it most are people who haven’t outgrown Facebook.] And maybe it’s just an unavoidable side effect of getting older – people grow up and grow apart. It happens.
But, one of my resolutions this year is to reconnect with old friends and try to take more interest in other people’s lives. (Yes, that is as self-absorbed as it sounds.) So, to that end, here are 10 questions that will help me understand where you are at this point in your life. We’ll talk about other, more important shit eventually, but this will bring me up to speed.
TEN QUESTIONS TO BRING ME UP TO SPEED
- Where do we know each other from? (I’m usually good at this, but I’ve gotta be honest, I get some of my acquaintances mixed up.)
- When was the last time we saw each other?
- Have you moved since then? (If so, how many times? And where are you living now?)
- Where are you currently working? What do you do?
- Are you currently or have you ever been married? (If so, what is/was your spouse’s name?)
- Do you have kids? (If so, what are their names and how old are they?)
- Have you faced any great challenges since the last time we saw each other (serious illness, loss of a loved one, etc.)?
- What would you currently consider your greatest challenge? In other words, what are you going through? And is there any way I might be able to help you with it?
- What are you into these days (favorite t.v. shows, movies, music, books, hobbies, life philosophies…)? What’s your general vibe?
- Any questions for me?
Feel free to message your answers to me on Facebook. (Be sure to like my page while you’re there – *hint hint*) If you don’t use Facebook, you can e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Everyone is free to message me, of course, but please know that I only plan on responding to people that: (1) I actually know and (2) I have an active interest in maintaining a friendship with.
That said, I hope to hear from you soon, dear readers. 🙂